So I was just thinking the other night, while we were at the Angel's game about some things....and someone said to me 'That is so great that you bring him out to things like this' all the while I noticed as we went to sit down in our seats....Heath in front of me about 5 feet with Tyler in his hands...the people next to us cringed when they saw little baby was about to sit right next to them (they were of course Yankee fans...ha) There have been a few other times this has happened...once at the UCLA game....the lady next to us said how wonderful it was for her to see that we were getting out and still enjoying ourselves...and the party animals in front of us...gave us the 'look'
Back in the day (pre-Tyler), I have to be honest....I was really nervous about having children beeecccaaauuuussseee Heath and I have such an on-the-go lifestyle, we are always all over the place..traveling, going out, going to sporting events, hanging out with friends, family, etc. I didn't ever want that to change. And you ALWAYS got those people that would say things about us always doing things and saying 'Oh, ha....just WAIT until you have kids, your WHOLE LIFE is going to change' I didn't believe it at first...I thought...no way..they will just come with me...that was until I heard it for the ummm....50th time...then I started thinking...'Crap! I don't want our lives to change....I love our life, I love my life, I love all the things we do. Life is too short to stay home and just to cater to your kids all day!'
Well now....4...almost 5 months later...I laugh...and I remember almost every person that said these things to us. Tyler has been everywhere....we have probably gone to more places in the past 5 months then we went in a year, just the two of us. I really believe kids adapt to your lifestyle, and if you start them young, its even better. I am even more excited to go out and do things now...and share the things we love with our son. The whole 'your lives are going to change, you can't do anything, kids can't go out...' is CRAP....pure crap. (this kid wont even take a bottle and I STILL take him out...ugh!) I also laugh when people cringe around us or give us the 'look' when they see Tyler is going to be next to them in a restaurant, a football game, baseball game, etc...only to have them hours later telling us they can't believe how good he was and asking to hold him for us...Yes, we are truly blessed with an amazing baby.....BUT I can say, he hasn't always been the greatest....the first football game we ever went to (I think he was a little over 2 months old) was not so pleasant....he wasn't used to the loud noises, sudden outbursts of cheering, cramped tight spaces, but you know what...that didn't stop us from bringing him back the next game. Now...he loves it and even sleeps through the loud cheers and screams, I am so glad we didn't give up after that one bad experience..and I think he is too.
I know it is going to change as he gets older....blah blah....i have heard it all....and once he is mobile it will be harder to take him to things like that....blah blah...just wait until you have another kid.....blah....but I can tell you I really don't think its going to stop us. I learned a VERY valuable lesson this year about life...its WAY too short to make excuses...to stop doing the things you love for silly reasons...to listen to other people when they try and tell you how YOUR life is going to be....its YOUR life...live it how you want...I am not saying being on-the-go is for everyone...some people enjoy being home more...which I am 110% ok with....but don't change your life based on what other people tell you....so use that fine china daily...burn those pretty candles you are 'saving for a special occasion,' drink that fine wine you bought, do it all...you have only got one chance to live...make it your best....tomorrow could be your last...and sadly...you can't take anything with you to heaven...
And a few quotes I live by:
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~Braveheart
Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you. ~Annie Dillard
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. ~James Dean
Most of us spend our lives as if we had another one in the bank. ~Ben Irwin
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. ~Larry McMurtry
Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got. ~Art Buchwald
You only live once; but if you live it right, once is enough. ~Adam Marshall
Life, if well lived, is long enough. ~Seneca
And like Tim McGraw's song....'Live like you were dyin.....'
And here are a few recent pics of our little man...I can't believe he has been in our lives for 5 months...what did I ever do before him? LOVE you little pumpkin....
7 comments:
Right on girl and thanks for the quotes, I love them!! I just hope I was never one who told you everything would change. :) Glad to hear all is awesome at the Thomas house, have a great week!! :) Summer
Such a cutie.
Right on, Michelle. Good for you! We've been dragging our kids around everywhere for years, too and it's not always fabulous, but we'll never look back and say we wish we'd have done it differently. Your little man is so dang cute I can't stand it. C.U.T.E.
omg he is changing so much! I know I see him so much that I can't tell in person but when I look at these pics I can totally see it!
This is such a good post, Michelle!! Thank you for sharing your experiences. :)
Great post! That's what "worries" Marc and I (we're always on the go and folks say the same thing). Good to see an example of staying on the go and enjoying life with a kid! Awesome :)
I am glad you are having such a great experience with Tyler! I am jealous. I am one of those on-the-go people who never believed my life would change too much despite how much I heard it. Unfortunately, my daughter was not so on-the-go friendly -- very very fussy and not very pleasant to have at most activities when she was young - iunless I wanted to walk around bobbing up and down the entire dinner or game. So, I became one of those people you hate -- warning people how their life would change - ALOT, because ours had. But, as #2 is about to approach and my lil girl is almost 3 and fun to take places (although I am still a respecter of the bedtime) I have high hopes that our little boy will be easier to handle and more of a Tyler ;). So, I haven't given up hope. But, all kids are different some kids are not so easy -- you don't teach temperment. Some of those naysayers were probably just sharing their experiences. But, it is a good lessen to learn both ways! Thanks for posting this.
Post a Comment