6.30.2011

some tips for new mommas...must haves!

so it seems now is the wave of all of my friends to have their first little ones and I love getting asked all of the time for my 'must have' items...I keep adding to this list as Tyler gets older, but here are some of my favorite things!  Asking friends/family for recommendations is the best way to register...there wasn't ONE thing I got from my registry that we didn't use.  I want to write them down so I remember for myself :)

1.  Homedics Sound Machine....thanks to Erynn who introduced me to this...this one is awesome!  It is small enough to bring with us on EVERY vacation, trip, etc and stays on all night long if you want or you can set the timer..has 6 different sounds and reflects a light mobile thingy majig.... ;)  I am telling you if you are a family that like to travel this is KEY...we bring this everywhere...even if we are staying in a hotel room and want to stay up later than ohhhh 7:30 (When Tyler goes to bed) we stick him in his pack n' play in the bathroom, closet, etc....wherever! with this sound machine and he feels right at home and it drains out all of the sound!  We recently did this in Maui and stayed up hours passed him even playing music in our room and sitting on the balcony...sooo nice and such a life saver!

2. if you plan on nursing...My Brest Friend...it really was my best friend for a year straight...had 3 of them, one upstairs, one downstairs and one in the car...this thing saved.my.back!

3. A pack n' play!  Some people disagree and say this is a waste of money...but we have already worn one out and are on our second!  If you travel or visit other ppl a lot and are in need of putting the little one down while you are there...this is a lifesaver.  I am a germ-a-phobe and not a big fan of using the cribs provided by the hotel...we bring this baby every where...some airlines consider it a 'baby item' and check it free...you just have to call ahead to make sure

4. No Sew Fleece Tie Blanket...ok...so I remember when I was little (as I am sure most of us do) having that ONE blanket we couldn't live without...it was dirty, holy, dragged everywhere and when it was left at Gramma's house the world was over...well parents are getting smarter these days and buy two of these 'loveys'...we had what we think an even more brilliant idea one day (my mom and I) lol...here comes my germ-a-phobe self again...I wash Tyler's blankets and bedding about 2 times a week...sooo...I thought...lets just get him hooked on these 'tie' blankets and we can have them in all colors shapes and sizes and see if he will take?  He did!  He loves to rub the fleece tie between his fingers and across his lips.  I keep one in my car, one in H's car, a couple at Gramma's, 2 in his crib with him and a couple more in a drawer.  He doesn't care what it looks like as long as it's fleece and has a little tie for him to rub.  These are SUPER easy and cheap to make too!  When they start looking old from too many washes....I toss them...he doesn't even know!  Crisis...diverted! :)  P.S. I don't make them with 2 pieces of fabric because they get too thick and heavy...1-2 yards of fabric is perfect for a blanket.  No need to double side :)

5. Digital Monitor - DIGITAL is key here...I have been at a few friends houses, looking at their baby monitors and all of the sudden it would pick up another person's monitor!!! Or they would have a ton of static interference, making weird noises like an old radio, etc....so since we lived pretty close to our neighbors I looked into a digital monitor...I didn't want anyone creepin' on my kid!  Haha and I wanted to make sure the video was clear with no interference.  I can not live without this thing...I have used it to death and already had to call Summer Monitors to get a replacement power cord (which they sent FREE) because mine stopped working...kudos to Summer....great customer service!

5. Baby 411 Book - Every pediatrician should recommend this book....it saved me from so many 'firsttimecrazyparanoidmom' phone calls to my pedi.  Love, love, love this book.  The pages are wrinkled and torn from the many times I used it. I now upgraded to Toddler 411, and surprisingly I haven't needed to use it as much, but I am sure I will! :)

6. Polyvisol Vitamins - I might have these and all of the vaccines to thank for the fact that Tyler has been sick one time in 2 years...he has never thrown up, had a cough, green runny nose, nothing.  I give him these daily (at night in the bath - because they DO stain clothes!) and he is a pretty healthy little man.  Of course these were recommended by the pedi...so you should ask your doc before giving these to your little ones!

7. Buy a nice stroller...we have the bugaboo bee and love it, but you can get any kind...the reason I say get one of these vs. the graco big systems, etc is because of resale value and quality! Yes we paid good money for it (I think it was like $450-500) HOWEVER, we have used the heck out of it and it is SUCH a great stroller...been on tons of planes, in and out of lots of places, its nice and small, turns on a dime, super high quality, huge canopy, etc. AND I just listed it on craigslist for $400 and have been FLOODED with emails...so in the end...I paid a whopping $50-100 for a SUPER nice stroller.  Your stroller is your most used item and you really do want to get a nicer one, in my opinion.

8. Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair - This thing is the best.  It does all of the same functions as those big ole' bulky high chairs but on a much smaller scale...lets face it...high chairs get in the way!  Especially if you don't have a huge kitchen!  This baby straps on any chair and you are ready to go.  There is literally nothing different between it and a big high chair.  The best part is you can take it with you wherever you go...Grandma's house for dinner, Thanksgiving feast, etc.  Super portable but great for everyday use...Tyler is 2 and STILL uses it everyday....I am in no rush to get him out of it...he still fits and it makes life at restaurants easier still at this age because he is still used to sitting in a high chair, so he doesn't try and get out. :)

9. Baby Bargains Book - I read this thing from cover to cover.  It is like the consumer reports for baby things.  They have the BEST reviews on things, tell you where to get certain things for the best prices, etc.  I think I picked 99% of my baby registry based on this book, and like I said above there isn't one thing I got that I didn't use/need.  A must read for all new mommas!  Don't waste your money on things like bottle warmers, sterilizers and wipe warmers!  This book tells you why, etc.  Saved me tons of $$$!

10. Diaper Bag tips...there are plenty of great diaper bags out there but the biggest KEY is to get one that  has straps to be made into a backpack too!  I can't tell you how hard it is to carry a little one and a one strap shoulder bag...a backpack option is KEY!  I have this one, but there are so many brands, etc that make great ones!

That's all I can think of right this second..I am sure I will be adding to this list :)

If you have any favs/must haves please add them in the comments! I would love to see more! :)

5 comments:

Jamie B said...

Great post!! We never needed a sound machine with our first, but with the second it was a MUST! Love that thing, and we bring ours with us everywhere too. So funny!! Have a happy 4th!

Michelle Bradley said...

Oh I LOVE our homedics sound machine I have had one since Landen :) Both my kiddos fall asleep to the ocean sounds! We aslso have this that my kids love for bedtime http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twilight-Constellation-Night-Light/dp/B000VZKGYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309471442&sr=8-1. What a great post!

Shelley said...

Pack n play is a must. I suggest keeping it too. While my kids have outgrown it, I keep it for when company comes with little ones. Even if they are not staying the night, sometimes it helps so they can put the little one down to eat dinner since our house is no longer baby proofed.

Anonymous said...

Love the post - gotta try out the sound machine...
Miriam

Dabalack Family said...

Such a great post for those new mommies... I will be sure to send them here when they ask me for recommendations. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails