1.05.2011

utah or bust!

Two days after Christmas we packed up the whole fam damily (Me, H, T and Bailey) and headed out for a last minute road trip.  First stop Vegas, next stop Brian Head, UT for some tubing and snowboarding...about an hour into the drive my bff Erynn texts to see if we wanted to go to dinner with them this week...I tell her no, sorry we are actually on another random trip of ours...this time to Utah...she says 'no way! we want to come!' We were stoked!  3 hours later...they were en route to meet us in Vegas...now THAT is what I call spontaneity...just like us...we would have done the same thing....it's those kind of trips that end up the best with the most memories...and let me tell you...we had PLENTY of memories :)  Here we goooo...first stop Rumor Hotel...GREAT new hotel in Vegas...right across the street from Hard Rock...they accept dogs at no extra charge..they even have a little dog park!  Such a cute hotel...just opened in July...highly recommend!

Disclaimer: Lots of pics and lots of text, I want to remember all of it while I stil can!


Poor kid was cooped up in the car for 6 hours (traffic!) he ran around that room like a wild man....I must admit...bringing a kid to Vegas is much different..its the first time I have been asleep by 10:00 in Vegas and totally fine with it...




Up at 6am for our drive to Utah...first we had to stop at Starbucks...which happened to be 15 minutes off the freeway...brilliant idea Erynn..lol jk


About here is where Adam clearly didn't read the speed limit sign of 80...they gained the name turtles....which they quickly renamed themselves to the white fang...as they flew passed us.


Poor pumpkin head started to REALLY not feel good around this point.  I have never seen him like this...it was so sad...


We made it! Didn't even stop to check in to the hotel, we had a 10:00 appt for tubing and they take this stuff serious...it was sold out...well apparently I didn't know about the time change in Utah so we showed up at 11:00 Utah time and barely got in.


The big hill...it doesn't look so big from down here...but trust me it was...







These poor kids have no idea what we are about to do to them ;) 




sick as a dog but happy as a clam!



right before we realized KIDS HAVE TO RIDE THE TUBE ALONE DOWN THE MOUNTAIN...ALONE.GOING ROUGHLY 40 MPH FLYING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN IN A TUBE. ALONE. Most parents of 1 year olds probably would have turned around and left...ummm no we sure sent those kids down that mountain...bad parents? maybe. Did Tyler love it? Absolutely...I am pretty sure T and R were the youngest kids to ever go down this bad boy....





This is the part where I started to panic...my heart was racing...I couldn't handle him going UP the hill on a rope moving at about 10 mph, how in the heck would I handle him FLYING DOWN the mountain ALONE!  Ugh...of course Dad is all SMILES...while I am shaking.



Almost to the top buddy..don't hate me for this...it was all your dad's idea. :)


Adam our video guy :)


Me trying to take pictures of this 40 MPH tube FLYING down the hill....oh my poor baby.  He was actually all smiles..during and at the end...so I didn't feel so bad :)


He survived...oh...and we did it a second time ;) haha

  


Reese and Will...not so much...they screamed the whole way up and down...but Will still said he had a great time...but didn't want to go again...good thing Tyler can't talk that much yet :)


Brian Head is INCREDIBLE, it's my new favorite ski resort.  I even liked it better than Mammoth or Tahoe...even though I didn't snowboard so I can't speak on that side, but just the town itself was so adorable and so quaint...


Tubing hill..






It was the most beautiful day...sun was out it wasn't even that cold...perfect...



he was out the second we got in the car...tubing did him in.. :)



You ski/snowboard right over that bridge! How cool is that?






We made it back down the mountain and had some Mexican dinner...look at these happy kiddos...



Then we decided to go bowling...poor Adam doesn't know how to bowl and had to use the ramp...


After the tubing adventure we took Tyler to urgent care...he had a cough and seemed in pain and I just couldn't take it anymore...poor baby has never really been sick besides a minor cold here and there... turns out he had an ear infection AND tonsillitis...ugh now I felt even more guilty for sending him down that hill! 


even Will knew what he was doing!





I didn't get a pic of the score board...but I believe I won :)

The next day...we decided to head back up to Brian Head to see more of the town since we loved it so much!....well the conditions had DRASTICALLY changed...here are the boys out in the snow putting chains on Erynn's car...since we had 4 wheel drive we didn't need them....or so we thought...



umm yeah....as we proceeded up the hill I knew something just wasn't right with out car...we were sliding all over the place...I was scared out of my mind...Heath did not say one word the whole way up...so I figured it was just me freaking out...but seriously...it was NOT fun...I had a mini-heart attack as cars passed and our back-end almost hit them because we were all over the road...and later we find out Erynn and Adam were saying 'I can't believe they didn't come back for us! That's not like them, they are probably sitting up in the lodge drinking their hot cocoa!' LOL


Adam and Erynn are flashing their lights behind us like they need help...they stop...we can't stop...our car is out of control...Heath still is not talking...

30 minutes later we make it to the top...pull into a parking spot at a random hotel and Heath breathes a HUGE sigh of relief and says a few choice words...FINALLY he is talking...come to find out the FREAKING 4 WHEEL drive was not working!!!  We drove up this mountain in a blizzard on icy roads in 2 wheel drive!! No WONDER the guy driving right behind us backed way off...he probably thought...you idiots!  So now...we are stuck up this mountain can not leave, can not get this car into 4 wheel drive, have ZERO cell reception and Adam and Erynn are no where to be found....an hour goes by....I call Erynn's mom from the nice people at the desk's phone...(bad move...now she is freaking out)...we go back down to the garage where the car is parked because our only option is to drive around and look for them...we work more on the 4 wheel drive...as we are we happen to look through the small entrance to the garage and there goes Adam and Erynn....Heath bolts out there...I breathe a HUGE sigh of relief...Then comes the fun part...now what?

The condo we called about earlier was about a mile or 2 up the road...we can't drive our car...Erynn read the owner's manual half way up the mountain only to learn you aren't supposed to put chains on her car...which is why they drove 6 mph up the mountain and stopped 5 times only for poor adam to get blasted with snow by a snow blower passing by...oh and the fun had just begun....

After trying to figure a plan we decided to pile everyone and everything into Erynn's car...and drive SLOWLY to find the condo...in the blizzard...with no cell reception.  3 car seats, 4 adults, a dog and all of our luggage, pack n plays, ice chests...all in Erynns car....brilliant!  Actually...it was! :) After the help of OnStar and a few wrong turns Adam finally meets Dutch (the condo owner guy), we get the keys...unload the car, climb 3 stories in the snow...and we are there...wow...now we are starving...have no food...good thing Mi Pueblo is right next door...we load the kids and start walking...in the blizzard...


Oh...did I mention Adam is allergic to dogs?  I wish I had a picture from the other angle of the car...hilarious!

We made it...and the best part is..we literally laughed the entire time...(except the broke n 4x4 part and the losing my friends for an hour with no service)



Reese refuses to wear shoes anywhere


We had some great conversations that night..and talked about how funny it is that when we were kids going on vacations with our parents we had so much fun and had NO idea how much work went into them...now being parents...we have a whole new appreciation for what our parents went through!


All was good though...at the end of the day...Adam was building horse stables with Mickey mouse, Tampons and Matches...way to go A....




The next morning we woke up to this....


The poor boys spent the whole day walking back and forth around town trying to find Erynn cable chains so we could make it back down the hill the next day--I wish I would have gotten pictures of their faces everytime they walked in the door....you would think they had just run a marathon...poor guys (it was Wednesday when we got up there and the storm was supposed to last until Friday)...they were gone all day freezing in 1 degree temps while we stayed in our condo by the fire and did a bunch of this....



Here they are trying to dig the car out...



And here we are...kids having the times of their lives...








I love this pic....W & R picking their nose and Tyler saying 'I have a winner!' after he picked his...lol


After another lunch with the boys at Mi Pueblo...and walks in the blizzard...they found the cable chains and we decided to head out...after being in that cabin for 30 hours us girls and the kids were getting slight cabin fever...we never watched tv...we just hung out, talked and played...it was so much fun but we were dying to go play in the snow...


Bye bye condo




Brian Head was BEAUTIFUL and now we know where to stay, things to do, etc and to bring a back up pair of chains and read your owners manual...we will DEFINITELY be back...it was kind of nice not having any interent or cell phone for 2 days...we had to use the waiters phone and Erynn's OnStar to call home and let them know we were still alive...good times Brian Head...see you soon!


I had never seen Vegas lights from the 'other side' of the 15...I didn't get a good picture (obviously) but it was amazing!

Thanks again E and A for SUCH a great time...we didn't take nearly enough pictures (E -- we didn't even get a pic of me and you together!) of all of our adventures and I am sure I forgot most...but we had such an amazing time with you guys...as usual...can't wait to do it again :)

11 comments:

Brandi said...

WOW, what a fun trip!! I would love to tube down that HUGE hill, awesome!! What beautiful pictures!!! Makes me want to go skiing. And snowed in for 30 hours, I'd have cabin fever too. At least you had great company!!! Good times, great memories! Happy New Year

erynn said...

Best trip ever!! I am going to download my pics today.. I never laughed so hard in that car when we piled everything in! Seriously a miracle we did what we did. Love you friend! Can't wait for next year!

The Hunnicutts said...

Matches & Tampons??? Classic! =)
The last photos of the kids together are priceless. YOu need to get yourself in some more photos, girly!

Dabalack Family said...

What a FANTASTIC trip!!! :)

Jamie B said...

Oh my goodness!! You had me laughing and scared at the same time... of course laughing only because you're obviously alive to write about it. What a fun trip, and even better to share it unexpectedly with good friends! Those are always the best. So so so true what you said about as kids not knowing how much work goes into trips like this. I can so vividly remember some trips like this with my family.

Happy New Year!

Jamie B said...

oh yeah... and glad you guys made it home safe :)

erynn said...

lmao at the tampons and matches.. we had to improvise!

Cathleen said...

Finding good friends to vacation with is the beginning... We have been vacationing with the same family for 8 years and every year it gets more and more fun, I love that the kids will have these memories to share with there kids! Enjoy all the car troubles, improvising and laughs because that is what vacations are all about!

Happy New Year

Jeannie said...

It sounds like you all had an amazing trip!! Lots of fun and lots of laughs :-) I'm sorry Tyler was sick...I hope he's better soon!

Jen said...

Sounds like a blast. Glad everything worked out and you guys were safe. How much fun!!!!!! Love all the pics of the kids.

Jen said...

Sounds like a blast. Glad everything worked out and you guys were safe. How much fun!!!!!! Love all the pics of the kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails